Jackson State U. - Athletics / Primary Mark: 2014-present

College Colors & Nicknames Updates: Four-Year Schools – J

Jackson State U. - Athletics / Primary Mark: 2014-present

Jackson State U.

I have gotten all four-year schools beginning with the letter ‘J’ posted:

  • College Colors & Nicknames: FYR-J

The long delay in College Colors & Nicknames updates has to do with the fact that I paused in the middle of the process to finally work out a programming aspect of my ColorWerx database application that I have been neglecting; I now can dynamically handle custom colors that are the product of “mixing” two or more colors together. In the past, whenever I have run across these types of issues, I have had to create the color in Adobe Illustrator, and then create a new color record in my backend database to store all of the relevant color information.

For example, the Ottawa Rough Riders of the CFL for the 1992 and 1993 seasons had a logo with a flame gradient design contained within:

Ottawa Rough Riders (CFL) Game-Worn Jersey

Ottawa Rough Riders

Surprisingly, that Red-to-Yellow gradient (the Orange) is defined in a scan of an official logosheet I have as a mix of 50% of PANTONE 185 plus PANTONE 109. Previously, I had to create two overlapping rectangles within Illustrator – using an RGB profile – one using 50% of 185 C, and another one using 109 C (100%). Using Illustrator’s Multiply function I could collect the RGB values from the intersection of the two boxes. And then, create the same two overlapping boxes using a CMYK profile and use the Multiply function to calculate the resulting CMYK data. Not very efficient. And time-consuming.

Finding the actual math to replicate the Multiply function wasn’t that difficult. And, creating functions in VBA to handle the calculations was also fairly easy. Implementing this new functionality into my MS Access application was the challenging part.

Without getting into the gory details, I eventually came up with a method to store these “Custom Color Mix” values in a separate table, and only use the color value information to produce the resulting color set. For example, I now only have to specify PMS 185 50% and PMS 109 (100%) in a subtable, and the code does the rest. Resulting in this:

Custom Color Mix - 50% PMS 185 + PMS 109 C

Custom Color Mix – 50% PMS 185 + PMS 109 C

The only items that I’m actually storing in the Pro Franchises database for the Ottawa Rough Riders for 1992-1993 and for the Orange are the values ‘PMS’, ‘185’, ’50(%)’ and ‘PMS’, ‘109’, ‘100(%)’. All of the color information for the PMS colors themselves are stored in a backend database. The code calculates the merge of the two colors and displays the results on this form. Including the CIE-Lab values which are calculated from sRGB.

Another convenient aspect to all of this due to a previous overhaul of code I performed over a year ago, is that I can also automatically produce these color mixes for different substrates. Here is the same mix for Uncoated paper stock:

Custom Color Mix - 50% PMS 185 + PMS 109 U

Custom Color Mix – 50% PMS 185 + PMS 109 U

Again, only specifying the ‘PMS’, ‘185’, ’50(%)’ and ‘PMS’, ‘109’ and ‘100(%)’.

I have also built a mechanism for applying this logic to other blend types: Darken, Color Burn, Screen, Color Dodge, Soft Light, Hard Light, etc. can all be achieved using these same programming constructs. If I ever run across the need, I can certainly handle it without too much fuss in the future.

Next, I need to be able to generate CMYK to RGB conversions using ICC profiles, and I’ll be all set…

Oh, and for you database geeks who are scoffing at my use of MS Access for all of this: believe me, I know where you’re coming from. Lots of plans to migrate all of this to SQL in the near future. So much of what I am doing (and have done) could be handled SO much better using stored procs and functions. But, this monster of an application has had a lot of organic growth and was actually originally built using notebook paper, then manual typewriters, followed by a Xerox MemoryWriter, then to an Atari Mega ST computer database program, then to Paradox for DOS, then to Paradox for Windows and now Microsoft Access 2016 running on Windows 10 in a Parallels VM on an iMac. It’s been through a lot.

I am planning a post in the near future that dives more deeply into the history of how I got to where I am today with this hobby/obsession, as well as a peek “under the hood” a bit as far as how all of this is set up.

Stay tuned for that.

 

Leave a Reply